IDS mailing list archives

newbie quetsions

From: Andrey Todorov <andreyt () gawab com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:07:30 +0100

Hi People,
I tried several times to subscribe myself to "Security Basics" mailing list to ask my questions, but didn't succeed. Excuse me if my questions aren't adequate to "Focus IDS" mailing list!

I'll be very gratefull if you share your opinion with me for the following situation. I have small network (5 PCs) behind one Linux box (iptables firewall , Pentium I 166Mhz, 32MB RAM, 4GB HDD) and want to increase security for this network.

   1. Do I need IDS?
2. What do you think about Snort? Can I find easy maintainable free/opensource IDS then Snort?
   3. What IDS literature should I read?

Thank you in advance!

Andrey

Test Your IDS