IDS mailing list archives

Re: newbie quetsions

From: "Fabien Degouet" <fdegouet () contrhackt com mx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:52:25 -0600

Andrey,

My point of view is:
    1- Yes you need an IDS, we always need an IDS as iptables just block
ports or connections but do not check for attacks or inside trafic. If you
have multiple segments you should have an IDS per segment. Here IDS stands
for NIDS but HIDS or better IPS would be required for critical hosts (like
servers).

    2- Snort is a good one and you can update the rules through oinkmaster
(inline). Other good one is Bro-IDS (opensource too). Snort is quite easy to
maintain and update but you may need some time for customization of rules.
Take a look to www.prelude-ids.org, this could give you some ideas on how to
manage the whole thing (logs too).

    3- For documentation, take a look at www.snort.org/docs and google.com
is always a good friend. You can find some good books (dealing with snort or
security) on amazon - for snort they come in the main page. The book of R.
Bejtlich (the tao of network security monitoring is also a good one!).

Regards

fabien