IDS mailing list archives

Re: CISCOs new IPS

From: p z <peterzulu () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:35:15 -0500

key things to consider:

- increased packet latency through the IPS.  this is worsened as you
increase the number of things you detect and/or block
- careful of false positives, so only block the minimum number of
exploits (around 30 or so out of the entire base of things seem to
operate.)
- power redundancy and network failover are other considerations.
- failure to detect at high packet rates or high mbps rates.  you have
to stress test this yourself and use your peak average network stats
as the baseline for packet rates and mbps rates.  some ips systems
stop detecting attacks at higher packet and bandwidth rates.

peter

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:31:42 +0100, Christoph Pertl (tm011081)