IDS mailing list archives

Re: Foolin an IDS ?

From: Thomas Ptacek <tqbf () arbor net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:17:06 -0500

Research subsequent to the papers that Paxson, Newsham, and I wrote established the term "vantage point problem" to describe the failure mode where a monitoring system gets tripped up by the differences between its own protocol logic and the logic of a real implementation of that protocol on an end system.

We've seen vantage point problems in a variety of places --- probably most notably in HTTP and in SMB.

My considered opinion is that vantage point problems are the "buffer overflow" vulnerability of the monitoring/integrity field.

I think most people would concede at this point that the best solution to buffer overflow attacks is to preclude them from existing: automatic bounds checking, least-privilege OS enforcement, and stack/heap integrity guards. Chasing the "next" buffer overflow and following the discover/wait/publish/patch cycle is probably not an effective strategy.

Similarly, the real solution for the vantage point problem is to preclude consistency problems --- by proxying, scrubbing, or moving functionality closer to the end-systems.

So I guess that I'm saying that you're right, David, and that there are lots of places to look besides TCP headers for these problems.