IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS, IPS and encrypted traffic

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: 06 Dec 2004 20:47:43 +0100

El jue, 02 de 12 de 2004 a las 08:15, Daniel Hamburg escribió:
Hello everybody,

I’ve been looking around the net for a while, trying to find some theoretical and practical approaches to solve the
problem of analyzing encrypted traffic.

I know, that there is a need to decrypt the traffic before analyzing it, but I haven’t found any concrete solutions
neither for NIDS nor for HIDS yet. Some HIDS vendors announced that their products are capable of analyzing encrypted
traffic, but I didn’t succeed to find any details about that.

Does anybody know some products or papers which deal with the problem of analyzing encrypted traffic?

Thanks in advance,
  Daniel Hamburg

Some people have had success using an squid proxy with the certificates
to decrypt the SSL traffic before sending it to the real web servers
and use a snort box after the squid proxy to see the unencrypted
traffic.

You can also try ssltunnel to handle other protocols but it's more
complicated.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.