IDS mailing list archives

Re: Announcement: Alert Verification for Snort

From: Aaron Temin <aaron.temin () comcast net>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 05:58:02 -0400

Marty,

Thanks for laying out all eight possibilities (your numbers 3 and 6 each
representing two each).  I have seen a lot of text written to this list
trying to get at the difference between an attack one cares about and an
attack one doesn't care about.  I agree that the latter is still an
attack, it's "ineffective" or something, but it's impact on a given
network is different than it's intent (which is to attack).

Would you care to suggest a succinct way (word or phrase) we can agree
to use to describe a true but ineffective attack?  (They are two
different dimensions, and perhaps explicitly giving a new name here
would help get over the red herring of whether an attack that has no
impact is an attack.)

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron Temin