IDS mailing list archives

Re: Announcement: Alert Verification for Snort

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:22:05 -0400

Hi Chris,

Just to make a point of semantics, I'd like to comment on the "reduce the large number of false positives produced by intrusion detection systems such as Snort" quote from your post.

I spent some time a couple months ago talking about the misconceptions of "false positives" in Snort on this very list and I think there's a valid point to be made here. Let me enumerate the cases you can have as I see it:

1) Detect, Attack Present, Vulnerable:  True Positive
2) Detect, Attack Present, Not Vulnerable: Nontextual (i.e. detect requiring contextual data to resolve)
3) Detect, No Attack, [vuln|not vuln]: false positive
4) No Detect, Attack Present, Vulnerable: False Negative
5) No Detect, Attack Present, Not Vulnerable: ?
6) No Detect, No Attack, [vuln|not vuln]: Don't care (true negative?)

In case 2 the "nontextual" isn't a false positive but I think that most people are calling it an FP these days. I *personally* think that's a misconception. What we have in that case is a *real attack* that your IDS is detecting exactly as it was asked to. Just because it doesn't have the additional information about the context or relevance of the event isn't a problem with the IDS, it's a side effect of the way that NIDS have been built for the past 10 years.

Case 3 is where we have the true false positives, the NIDS is detecting attacks that aren't occuring on the network. I think that case 2 happens far more than case 3 with systems like Snort, which is why I think it's important to make the distinction between "real" false positives (i.e. the IDS screwed up) and nontextuals where the IDS has done its job, it just needs more information to properly evaluate the reality and priority of the event.

I hope this is making sense to everyone here, please let me know if you have any questions. Looks like a neat tool Chris!

     -Marty