IDS mailing list archives

Re: Host Based IDS Recommendations?

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:10:27 -0600

Host Based IDS Recommendations can be sorts into many different categories due to Okena and Sygate redefining their market space.

But here goes

Software Based HIDS

Sygate Technologies Sygate Security Agent
Innerwall Enclave
Symantec Intruder Alert/Symantec Client Security
ISS Site Protector/ISS Desktop Protector
NAI Entercept
Cisco Security Agent

Some vendors classify themselves as both IDS and IPS solutions, but very few of them have IPS signatures that actually provide IPS like functionality

/mark

At 09:11 AM 10/16/2003, edward gonzales wrote:

Symantec has Intruder Alert 3.6 (formerly made by Axent) with agents for Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, RH 7.x and Windows. They also have their new Symantec Host IDS 4.x products, but not all of the unix varients are out yet.

> I would like to find out for Windows boxes if there are any
> recommendations for Host based IDS, i know that for unix there is AIDE,
> linux, tripwire. What are the solutions for Windows machines? Would
> running a software IDS that is capable of monitoring and protecting the
> file systems a la tripwire with signed hashes kept in removable media be
> sufficient? If there are, what are the usual suspects for host based IDS
> that is used prevalently in industry? I'm hoping for both free and
> commercial solutions

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_focus-ids_031015 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------