IDS mailing list archives

Re: port bonding and taps

From: "Sam f. Stover" <sstover () iwc sytexinc com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:19:09 -0400

Please keep an open mind, and make that "where and whether".

My mind is quite open, thank you. The entire thrust of my interest is in to what degree does bonding affect sniffing. I understand completely that the possibilities range from having a large impact to zero impact.

In my experience bonding's overhead was so negligible that I doubt
it would show up as a critical factor in any configuration.

This has not been my experience - nor does it make sense. Any additional work that needs to be done in a high bandwidth scenario can have a large impact on performance. For example, adding one poorly written signature in a low volume network can go by unnoticed. However, drop that same signature in a high bandwidth environment and your CPU utilization goes through the roof. It stands to reason that bonding *could* impose similar issues.

Happily, tcpdump -s0 will capture a nice test file from wherever
you're planning on snorting, and tcpreplay makes it easy to blast it
back at your snorter. Set up N boxes, where N == twice the number of
taps you're going to support, and have 'em blast into the bonded
NICs over crossover cables, with tcpreplay. You can control the
playback speed, you know how many packets went out, so you can
subtract from how many were snorted to measure exactly how many were
dropped.

Yes, this is a nice scenario to test, but I'm also interested in hearing what people are seeing who actually use this in a real world environment.

____
S.f.Stover
sstover () iwc sytexinc com