IDS mailing list archives

Network Taps

From: "Andy Cuff [Talisker]" <talisker () networkintrusion co uk>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 17:02:37 +0100

Hi
I have been meaning to put up a page on Network Taps for over a year and
have at last got around to it.  There has been some movement with the likes
of Finisar taking over Shomiti but I can only find 4 manufacturing players
out there, being:

Intrusion
Network Critical
Finisar aka Shomiti
Net Optics

If there are any more out there please let me know so that I can include
them.  I have used 3 of the above and they each have their pros and cons.
One of them includes a hub within the tap which saves a great deal in the
facilities required to use them, though there is a bandwidth issue.
Allowing the transmission of resets back through the tap is a mixed blessing
though. http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/taps.htm

On a separate note Jeff Ames has volunteered to maintain a software protocol
analyzer page, last count he was at 20+ products and rising.  I tried to do
the same last year and failed so I am eternally grateful to him for
providing details of all known products to the community.  Should be up
within 2 weeks. http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/analyzers.htm

Thanks again to all the other volunteers who are maintaining various pages
and categories on site.

Talisker Network Security Tools
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
- including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
- enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2