IDS mailing list archives

Re: Protocol Anomaly Detection IDS - Honeypots

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:49:00 -0600

See comment embedded below...  -r

At 12:58 PM 2/20/2003 -0600, you wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Robert Graham wrote:

> People have been hoping that there is some sort of magic-pill technology that
> solves the problem of IDS. "Protocol-anomaly detection" is one of those
> buzzwords that promises a magic pill.

What'ya mean "magic pill"? As in "here -- take 2 of these, and 1 of those, and call me in the morning..."? No -- ain't no such 'ting there Wally. Problem is -- is that executives are not technology savy, so they rely on the technical people in providing effective solutions, sometimes going to outside vendors for their solutions. Remember: vendors are in the business to "sell product", and nothing more -- whether that is a service or a manufactured product (hardware, software or some combination thereof). So -- if a security vendor tells your networks needs "XXX" and this will be taken care by our "Super Duper Fast-Acting RED Pill", in many cases, they're blowing smoke and mirrors.

In my humble opinion, such products do exist, but might not in their entirety or are so cost-prohibitive, that it wouldn't make any sense to implement them in the heterogenous environments that exist today (Novell [yes, there are many places that still use this operating system], Windows, UNIX and LINUX, with a smidgen of mainframe for flavor) -- because implementing these so-called "quick fix" solutions might be architectually-interdependent.

Okay, I'll admit, to me alot of the security problems I see are nothing
more then nails, and honeypots are the hammer.

Wouldn't a honeypot/honeynet *show* how someone actually *thinks* based on how they are interacting with the target server or network??? If so, then yes, this would be a much more cost-effective method for anomalous detection IDS.

However, seriously, have folks considered the detection capabilities of honeypots? The reason I bring this up in this thread, is for honeypots, everything is an anamoly. The concept of a honeypot is it has no production or authorized activity. Everything it captures its way is most likely malicious activity. Not only that, but you dramaticaly reduce 'noise'. Instead of dealing with 5,000 alerts a day (not that high of a number for many organizations) a honeypot in the same environment could only generate 5 or 10 alerts a day, alerts you most likely need to take action on. These small data sets can make it far easier and cost effective to identify and act on
unauthorized activity.

Here, here -- I completely agree that installing honeypots or honeynets would help aggregate the detection process.

Some companies that I have dealt with in the recent past are reluctant to implement such technology, or in using some sort of honeypot/honeynet configuration. Not only does it bring the intruder closer to your doorstep, but it is costly to maintain, difficult to configure, and difficult to make any changes to it once implemented -- at least -- this is what these companies have stated.

Personally, I think that they're afraid of any legal implications or risks that might (or could be) associated with such an implementation. I don't see what the negative implications could be for such an implementation -- at least -- legal implications of risk(s).

Besides -- isn't the whole idea or point of implementing a honeypot or honeynet to isolate the intrusions as much as possible? Theoretically, it *should* work; however, I have seen too many network engineers misconfigure their switches or routers and place "convenience doors" for their use when they need to perform network configurations or maintenance. In doing so, they're created a "backdoor" for intruders to gain access to companies real networks, or demonstrated to the would-be intruder that the network is an illusion. Either way, I think that this is where the greatest risk lies with such an implementation.

I'm in no way suggesting that honeypots replace any existing detection
technologies, I'm suggesting that can contribute.

Agreed -- provided that networking engineers or networking groups of companies implementing these solutions internally don't install "backdoors" for their networking products for "maintenance purposes". ;)

Personally, I feel the concept of deception has overshadowed the value of honeypots, when one of their true values lies in detection.

Ironically, isn't it interesting how 10 years ago -- all of this was NOT considered "mission critical"??? To recap -- we have "critical", "business critical" and "mission critical". What's the next level *after* "mission critical" -- "extremely mission critical"? If so, shouldn't companies *NOW* start to consider using honeypots or honeynets? When does the justification for the use of such technologies justify its means? Answer: when it's too late. ;)

-r

DISCLAIMER: The IMF will disavow any knowledge of my *official* whereabouts. This email message will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Does your IDS have Intelligent Attack Profiling?
If not, see what you're missing.
Download a free 15-day trial of StillSecure Border Guard.
http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure