IDS mailing list archives

Protocol Anomaly Detection IDS

From: "Michael L. Artz" <dragon () october29 net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:07:02 -0500

I am trying to supplement our existing signature based IDS (Snort, gotta love open source) with a protocol anomaly based one in a fairly large enterprise network. I am in the fairly early stages of research, so I guess that the first question would be, is it worth it?

I hear the anomaly detection buzzword thrown around a lot these days, and can't quite get past all the marketing hype. From what I can tell, protocol anomaly detection seems to be the more promising than the statistical for detecting new or IDS-cloaked attacks. However the notion of "conforming to RFCs" leaves a lot of leeway for the vendors to play with. How well do these types of systems actually work?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which systems to look into/stay away from? Below is a list of some of the ones that looked like they might support protocol anomaly detection from their marketing hype, let me know if I left any out/incorrectly added any:

Lancope Stealthwatch
Tipping Point/UnityOne
ISS RealSecure Guard
Cisco IDS 4250
CA/eTrust IDS
Intruvert Intrushield
NFR Network Intrusion Detection System
Netscreen/Onesecure IDP
Symantec ManHunt

Any clues or headstarts to get me pointed in the right direction would be great.

Thanks
-Mike