IDS mailing list archives

RE: Active response... some thoughts.

From: "Gonzalez, Albert" <albert.gonzalez () eds com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:50:41 -0500

Blocking isn't just sending TCP rst's or the various other methods. Some
solutions (hogwash comes to mind) will just drop the packet. Other's like
SnortSam or Snort-inline will add firewall rules to drop the packet. Since
the three solutions I mentioned use snort and snort can understand udp,
icmp, you can drop those packets that trigger a pre-defined
criteria(pattern). I don't know of a solution that can add ACL's to routers
(though, i haven't looked for any).

SnortSam and Snort-inline can both talk to IPtables, iptables can just
simply drop packets without having to send a RST or anything of that
nature.. is this what you were looking for? (its a fw though, not a router
like you stated).

Cheers!
  Alberto Gonzalez

"Can you tell I only play with FREE stuff? <g>"

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.