IDS mailing list archives

Re: Host Based IDS Recommendations

From: Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska () student uci agh edu pl>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:21:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Maarten Van Horenbeeck wrote:

While a different approach, many host-based Intrusion Prevention Systems
also generate an important deal of logging which is extremely useful from
an HID point of view.  On many systems, I tend to run software such as the
grsecurity patches (on Linux kernels), which can be configured in such a
way to log a syslog event on somewhat suspicious traffic.

An example:
Dec  3 05:05:11 shiva kernel: grsec: attempted resource overstep by
requesting 1024 for RLIMIT_NOFILE against limit 1024 by (initlog:27874)
UID(0) EUID(0), parent (S55sshd:15305) UID(0) EUID(0)

You will have to write some custom log parsers yourself, and develop a
secure log transportation mechanism, as syslog may become unreliable
immediately after compromise, before these log entries are actually of
use.

No need to reinvent the wheel, as that's an exact description of the
functionality we've had in Prelude for almost two years now :-)  Prelude
LML can parse logs basing on regexp-based rulesets (grsec ruleset written
by grsec author himself), create messages in common format and send them
over an SSL'd link to a remote host. Oh, and it can run as syslog server
as well, not only read the local files...

// Krzysztof Zaraska * kzaraska (at) student.uci.agh.edu.pl
// http://mops.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kzaraska/ * http://www.prelude-ids.org/
// A dream will always triumph over reality, once it is given the chance.
//              -- Stanislaw Lem