IDS mailing list archives

Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:08:05 -0500

Ron Gula wrote:

Yep ... "intrusion prevention" is the latest bandwagon marketing folks
are getting into. What makes matters worse is I think that "intrusion
detection" was also mis-labeled from the start. IDS was really "attack
and probe detection" but rarely did they actually detect real compromises.

Everything from better passwords to extra firewalls can be considered
intrusion prevention.

Amen.

  I see a lot of folks halting NIDS/HIDS deployments in favor of
enhanced configuration/vulnerability management or even outsourceing
IT altogether.

While I agree that attacking the problem at its source (system insecurity) is
the better solution, if that were effective, we wouldn't need firewalls. :)