IDS mailing list archives

FW: [Fwd: RE: Intrusion prevention and dDos protection]

From: mpaquette () toplayer com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:58:17 -0400

Hi Rob,

        Your point below is not totally correct. I agree with you that *IF*
the entire Internet connection link is swamped with DoS traffic, then there
is little you can do from the organization side to affect it, but you
mistakenly assume that all DDoS attacks are successful in filling the
entirety of an organization's Internet link.  While that may indeed be
common for attacks that take place on low-speed broadband or T1 connections,
it is definitely not true for organizations with higher speed Internet
connections (10M, T3, 100M, OC-3, OC-12, Gig).

        In any organization where their critical on-line assets (say, Web
Servers) have less capacity to withstand a particular attack, say a SYN
Flood, than the Internet connection has capacity to let in, a Denial of
Service condition can occur without filling up the Internet pipe with DoS
Traffic.  For example, with just a 10Mbit/sec Internet connection, a
significant SYN flood of 10,000 SYNs/sec can make even a load-balanced,
multi-CPU web server crawl to its knees.  In this case there is still
3+Mbit/sec of "free" bandwidth left over for legitimate requests to the web
servers, but such requests will not be serviced because the servers are
suffering from the attack - denial of service is achieved.

        Extending your analogy, think of these types of DDoS attacks not as
street cloggers, but more like excess orderers.  If 5 people show up at a
fast food restaurant, getting to all 5 order-takers at the same time, and
each takes 5 minutes asking questions and changing his mind 10 times before
ordering 25 hamburgers each, the restaurant's ability to service additional
customers during this time will stop well before the street gets clogged up,
causing a denial of service.  With a little creativity, you can probably
think of lots of things you could do inside the restaurant to ensure that
this does not take place.

        Over the past 12 months, we have seen dozens of targeted DDoS
attacks, and none of them was successful in using up the entire pipe
bandwidth.  For these types of attacks, an organization-side attack
mitigation approach can be quite effective, ensuring that legitimate
transactions can complete even in the presence of high-volume SYN floods.
If you're interested, contact me offline, and I'll provide you with a
concrete real-life example.

Thanks,
Mike P.
Top Layer Networks