IDS mailing list archives

RE: ISS and Snort logs

From: "Security Conscious" <mail () security-conscious com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:24:58 -0400

Another option would be to use Snorts SQL Server output module and sends
alerts directly the ISS SQL Server.  On the ISS SQL Server you would
create another database (Snort DB) with the Snort schema.  Snort would
alert/log to the Snort DB.  You could then create triggers to do a
select from (Snort DB) insert into (ISS DB) for each event added to the
Snort DB.

The challenge you are going to have is mapping the Snort events into the
ISS meta data (e.g., classification, priority, category, etc.) and not
breaking their front-end in the process.  I'd also look into the
licensing agreement as it pertains to this sort of customization - it
could impact your licensing/support agreement.

Good luck,

Chris Petersen
Security Conscious, Inc.
www.security-conscious.com