IDS mailing list archives

AW: Changes in IDS Companies?

From: detmar.liesen () lds nrw de
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:40:41 +0100

Hi folks,
I am watching this thread for quite a while now and I think it's time for
me to throw in my 0.02$.

First off let me explain my understanding of terminology:
-An Inline-IDS or Gateway IDS does not have to be a Network Intrusion Protection
System.
The difference between a NIDS and a GIDS is just that the latter is placed
inline instead of attached
to a SPAN port or tap.
-A Network Intrusion Protection System blocks or resets "bad" connections and
hacking attempts.
So a NIPS does not have to be an Inline-device automatically.

I guess we all agree so far :)

As a rule of thumb I would never use countermeasures by transmitting packets on
the wire, which would be the case if I used TCP-reset with NIDS.
Remember: Every bit of information you give to a hacker could help him to evade
your security-systems.
Dropping packets silently by using a GIDS is far better.

Now the false-positive issue:
I had various discussions about that issue with many people. The main concern
was that a NIPS/GIDS often sits in a place where many heterogeneous networks are
connected to a single line (e.g. the internet-link) and thus it is very
difficult to properly tune those systems.

I don't have enough practical experience to tell if the following idea is good,
but I suggest using a GIDS as a protecting device with just the most important
signatures that are knownt to reliably detect/block those attacks we fear most:
-worms
-trojans/backdoors
-well-known exploits
For all the other stuff that is apt to produce false positives i suggest using a
passive network ids (NIDS)

Additionally, NIPS vendors should always maintain a list of those most common
and most dangerous attacks that also gives information about known
false-positives for these signatures.

Cheers,
Detmar