Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DISA eliminating firewalls

From: André Lima <andreflima () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 19:27:00 +0100

Firewalls will never and should never disappear.
The reason is that multi-layer security systems are the best one can apply for any network. And by definition it means that one layer (e.g. firewall) will obviously not be enough, but nevertheless it is an essential part or the security system. And the reason I believe it won't disappear is that it gives us all some assurance. Just as the door in my house. If a great professional burgler wants to get something from our homes, the door will obviously not stop him. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to give up my door and just be in an open door home, because it does help in some situations (tipical strangers, or unwanted kids). I don't want to be inside and be worried that a drifting stranger might get inside and sleep in my bed while I'm away just because there was nothing to stop him. But if you're just implying that such system can be implemented, indeed that's possible. But that would be an end-to-end security system which is a nightmare to maintain. A firewall is centralized and even though we all know it's not enough to mitigate all attacks, it does give me some basic assurances so I don't have to be (extremely?) paranoid inside my own network.

Best regards,
André Lima
http://www.andr3l1ma.net/