Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: david () lang hm
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:39:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, ArkanoiD wrote:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 06:21:35PM -0700, david () lang hm wrote:
the fact that you need to direct me to use a CVS snapshot because all the
tarballs are too old is a realy good indicator of the problem.

Just check out HEAD. Or, even better, I will upload new snapshot today.

I'll wait for the snapshot and work from that

I looked at openfwtk when it was first announced, and at that time it
wasn't ready to replace all the parts of fwtk that I use, so I didn't move
to it. i've checked back once in a while, but without seeing new releases
it hasn't seemed like there was anything new to test.

I would suggest moving to git or similar DVCS so that you can create a
fork for developing each new feature and then as each one gets done, merge
it in to the main trunk rather than having to either keep development out
of the main repository, or have each snapshot get a fairly random state of
functionality between all the development.

CVS branches are ok as well..

CVS doesn't have good tools for merging the branches back togeather, and only people who have commit access to CVS can use them. with a DVCS (I happen to favor git, but this applies to any of them), people can do local work and then push it back to the central point without you having to trust them with CVS access first.

David Lang