Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: "Fetch, Brandon" <bfetch () tpg com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:51:24 -0500

(Top-post - BAH, get over it.  :) )

Catching up on the thread belies what (I think) are a few themes we're discussing:
1. Acceptance (and extension usage) of OSS products in the enterprise
2. The comparative advancement of these OSS products relative to the commercial ones (feature creep/bloat)
3. Usability & application of each product type (OSS vs. commercial)

Acceptance:
I can say from my experience in both a Big-4 and my current employer (check the from field), there's a tendency to
always have a "throat to choke".  Part of this (I'm hopeful) is based on team preservation (I'd rather we blame an
outside vendor than the employee directly) but I'd bet it's more akin to CYA than anything else.

Cliché yes, but "No one's ever been fired for buying IBM..."

Advancement:
As with all commercial products, there's always a need to "build the better mousetrap" and to remain above your
competitors regardless if the feature is needed/used/implemented.  This compares favorably with OSS products in that
there's no time (or code) wasted in implementing or supporting these ancillary (and entirely tangential sometimes)
features.

Even though you're not matching "checkbox for checkbox" with commercial products you're bound to have a better
performing product that's focused on what you're using it for.

Usability & application:
This goes back to advancement in that the more complicated products you're using the greater likelihood you have of
royally screwing things up(tm).  Though I've not used OSS products extensively in production environments, my
experience has been they do have a tendency to adhere to the more geeky of users and won't give you a pretty face to
interact with.  A lot of times this suits the ultimate end-user just fine but when you're dealing with corporate
segmentation of duties (which is definitely more prevalent in bigger companies) you may be stuck with the pretty GUI
vs. a CLI.

I'll touch on application just a bit by rolling back the discussion to the root design of "your" network.  If you're
running an entirely flat network with huge broadcast domains everywhere and minimal segmentation then yes, I can see
how folks will need these types of commercial products that can do tens of gigabits worth of performance.  However,
with proper segmentation (and requisite understanding) of your data flows you can not only reduce the total utilization
of individual devices & ports but you also gain the capability to apply controls at each of these points as well.

Oh, and you can use a lot of these OSS products as the controls running on commodity hardware with (reasonably) no (or
minimal) ill affects.

I don't recall who did it from the replies but someone implemented proxy controls at choke points internally within
their network.  The stakeholders of these now proxied services were crying foul yet they could not prove with metrics
there was any impact to their applications.

This is what a fully segmented network gets you: improved performance with control.  Whether that control takes the
form of L3/4 ACLs on your routing/switching gear or if it means putting a proxy in front of suspect services you now
have that capability and can do so in an optimum fashion.

I'd much rather sit down and spend the time to re-purpose some 3 year old servers with a multi-port NICs to run
distributed Snort than spend $50k/year for the next 3 years on installing a "flow aware" IPS.  But in this case my
employer deems that cost an appropriate trade-off relative to my expense in time lost developing the OSS design.  I'm
not the one making these decisions but I wouldn't be a good conservator of my company's ward if I were to only make the
Snort recommendation.

Coming from a "corporate security weenie" I can say businesses predominantly like "solutions", checkboxes, and throats
to choke but unfortunately a lot of times OSS products can only give us 2 of those 3.

Sorry for the long (and top-posted) reply.
Brandon