Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPv6

From: Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 19:00:44 -0500

On Thursday, January 6, 2011, Dave Piscitello <dave@corecom.

If ever the phrase "living on borrowed time" applied to the Internet, it
might be now. Many organizations are approaching a time when they may
have to accept a weaker security deployment in order to add systems
because they won't be able to obtain IPv4 addresses.

Nah, RFC1918 reserved address spaces and NAT ensure ridiculous levels
of internal scalability.  It's an ugly administrative nightmare, but
very much possible.  And with the right public-facing services
infrastructure, it's possible to obscure tens of thousands of servers
behind a single IPv4 address.  As an industry, we have yet to plumb
the true depths of IP address space management.  And until we do,
where's the incentive to push for v6 adoption?

PaulM