Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is it possible to control access between clients on same LAN with a firewall?

From: arvind doraiswamy <arvind.doraiswamy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:27:11 +0530

VLAN's on L3 switches is what instantly springs to mind. Alternatively
as you suggest ACL's on the L3 switch itself between all the machines
on that switch is another option.

How about something like this though? Say the LAN is 192.168.0.0/24.
The machines all have their gateway set to 192.168.3.1(switch). Don't
have any routes on the switch apart from a default one pointing to the
firewall which can be on another network (172.16.3.1) - one port on
the switch also on this network(172.16.3.2). So all traffic gets
forced through the firewall instead of being forcefully routed on the
switch itself.Logically this sounds ok to me - I haven't actually
tested this - but it might work.

Arvind

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM, William Fitzgerald