Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPv6

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 01:50:55 +0530

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:56:45AM -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
Is anyone doing anything interesting with v6 and firewalls?  We're
supposedly coming up on the year that v6 will break out, and most
organizations I know still don't even route it.

I am looking to start announcing IPv6 early next month. At this point,
Linux and *BSD boxes support IPv6 in their firewall rulesets.

There really shouldn't be much additional complexity with IPv6 in
any good security architecture. It's just another routed protocol,
with longer addresses and IPSec built in.

At the beginning though, we are likely to see simple IPv6 routing
with no AH/ESP.

What will be infinitely more interesting will be the combinations
of IPv4 to IPv6 mapping/NATing/routing which will happen.

Devdas Bhagat