Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS Names for external services

From: "Bruce B. Platt" <bruce () ei3 com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:30:07 -0400

Among other things, Paul said:

Snip ...

What's a bigger burden, your support costs or your security costs?  If
your VPN is attackable, because of weak userid-passwords or other flaws,
it'll be attacked sooner or later- if you've done your job, then flaws
won't be exploitable and the name doesn't matter- if you've done a poor
implementation or selection job, then all you're doing by hiding is
postponing the inevitable.

Paul

I agree. I also support using non eponymous names.  Rather than
vpnserver.company.com, something like bart.company.com can be remembered,
but does not immediately tell anyone what the machine might do.  So a little
obscurity may help.

Or, make the server as impregnable as possible first, Then give it a name
people can remember, then watch to see if people try to bust in or
compromise it.

Bruce

--
believed to be clean.