Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS Names for external services

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:07:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Morty Abzug wrote:

Re-read above.  GP advocated setting up a honeypot on well-known names
that *blocks* the source IP.  The problem with this is that if
$legit_user of your company/organization says 'hey, I see
"ftp.$mycompany.com" resolves' and tries it, you will block
$legit_user's source IP.

That's not a problem in my book.  Now perhaps your acceptable usage policy
allows users to connect to anything they can dream up- but every single
one I've ever written says what resources my users can use, and if they're
on a fishing trip and they get shut out, then I'm not going to lose any
sleep over it.

Paul