Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto Networks

From: Paul Hutchings <paul () spamcop net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:27:36 +0100

Thanks all.

Frank, We would only be looking at one unit so management shouldn't be an issue. You mentioned "home grown apps" and giving them a definition, this will hopefully all be clear once I have a units GUI in front of me, but presumably if you need/want it to the PA boxes can also act as dumb stateful firewalls i.e. "Simply allow port XYZ from X to Y"?

Arkanoid, I've learned not to trust the marketing hence lurking on technical forums and lists like this. Also (again may become clear when in front of one) but how does the SSL inspection/MITM actually work i.e. what would I need to change on my clients and could it also be used to apply inspection to inbound SSL traffic to look for nasties i.e. Outlook Web Access?

As a general question, what strategies are people taking these days regards "layering" firewalls? We currently use a back to back approach with a dumb stateful firewall at our perimeter almost as a "doorman" so that only the ports we need to allow in get in, and then we get a little smarter i.e. does it conform to RFCs etc. at the LAN edge firewall. I'm wondering if the general consensus is that this is still a sensible idea?

Paul