Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto Networks

From: Paul Hutchings <paul () spamcop net>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:48:44 +0100

Fair question. At present we have an application aware firewall, technically it is a proxy but it doesn't cache/we have no need to cache. Of course whilst it's smart enough to know whether what's passing through it is valid/rfc compliant http/ftp/https and so on, it has no idea if it's Skype, MSN Messenger, Webex and so on. That's the key area that I'm interested in, combined with the integrated spyware/malware/virus filtering.

As for other vendors, in a nutshell no, as from what I can the PA kit seems kind of unique once you go above where we are now i.e. protocol aware proxy.

My plan is to configure the loan unit with the rules we need and put it in and see how it goes, but of course feedback from those more familar with the product is always a bonus.

Paul