Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: State of security technology for the enterprise

From: "Chris Hughes" <chughes () l8c com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 10:47:32 -0400

In thinking about it I guess the reluctance is based more on management
being concerned that if I architect an open source solution and leave, there
will be a smaller pool of people to choose from to support it going forward.
Because I am a staff of one for security, there is also the fear that if I
am out and someone needs to "take a look" or respond to a problem, there is
no easy support to call.  In these lean times they refuse to hire extra
personnel.  Anyhow, I am willing to consider open source solutions where
they fit.

Good info on DPI, thanks.  This is the kind of information I'm looking for.
I am not currently using a proxy and had planned on buying BlueCoat last
year for use both as a proxy and decryption/re-encryption of SSL for
inspection.  Then I was forced to spend the $$ on a new SAN.  This is one
piece I wanted in place this year.