Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: State of security technology for the enterprise

From: david () lang hm
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Chris Hughes wrote:

"mainstream" as missing the mark.  The problem is, on an enterprise level,
most companies are not willing to look at open source solutions or vendors
they have never heard of.  They want brand names that can be supported by a
wide audience of engineers.

I've never seen that level of reluctance at any large enterprise I've
worked or consulted for.  In fact, in these economic times, "it's free" is
a lot more palatable than "you need to spend $10,000."  I'd gently suggest
that the security "sale" for the requirement isn't being done well enough
if you can't choose best of breed open source tools- especially if the
argument is "wide audeience of engineers."  If your "wide audience" is
that narrowly focused, then I'd suggest removing the term "engineer" from
their titles and substituting "monkeys!"

oh, this level of reluctance is very definantly alive and well, even in these economic times. I've got folks insisting that I rip out the working opensource equipment and replace it with 'real' firewalls (which turns out to mean Cisco equipment. it looks like they are going to force the Sidewinders to be removed as well)

David Lang