Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN and XP Firewall GPO settings

From: Victor Williams <bwilliam13 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:16:50 -0500

Isn't the catch-all to just leave it on all the time?  What is the value of not having it on if the laptop is connected
to your immediate network?

I leave ours on all the time.  We don't allow workstations/laptops to share files or printers...all that is handled on
our servers.  So, it works well for us.  Again, what is the value of turning the firewall off when the laptop enters
your network?

---- Paul Hutchings <paul () spamcop net> wrote:
Sorry, I may have explained badly so just to clarify:

Our default GPO is set to enable the XP Firewall when the laptops are
on "Standard Profile" and disable it when using "Domain
Profile" (going from "netsh firewall show currentprofile").

What seems to happen is laptop is using public wi-fi, so it's on
"Standard Profile", firewall is enabled.

User connects using Network Connect.

XP does a GPUpdate and because it can reach the domain controllers
seems to assume "Oh I'm on the domain" and switches to Domain Profile
and switches off the firewall on the client.

I could configure a GPO just for laptops that keeps the firewall on
regardless, but I'm trying to ascertain whether what I'm seeing is
normal or not?

Also what (if any) mitigation does disabling split tunnelling so the
VPN client can't see/be seen even on the local subnet have?

Cheers,
Paul