Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Windows dynamic ARP

From: Christoph Mayer <mayer () tm uka de>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 09:04:24 +0100

Unfortunately XArp can't really 'filter' (drop) the packets, but alert you.

I am sure you will correct me Chris (You did write the tool after all
;-) but I was under the impression the requestedresponse filter
actually dropped a response to the host Xarp is running on if the host
didn't issue an arp request ?

Unfortunately I was not able to write an NDIS driver for Windows that could really "drop" packets. The name of the filters might be a bit misleading, but it is stated clearly in the manual etc. As my first intent was to really drop packets, the names of the filters did arise.

I am currently working on a Linux port where writing a network driver for

wouldn't arptables
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/arptables-man.html
be able to handle the linux side of things ?

I will look into this. The XArp filters work very much on dynamic data, therefore pure static tables don't quite fit into the design. For example the requestedresponse filter keeps state of requests and these have to time out after some seconds. I think that's quite hard to implement using static tables.

If you want to get an overview of mechanisms available for ARP attack
detection, you can have a look at a (yet incomplete) presentation I once
started: http://www.chrismc.de/development/xarp/arp_security_tools.html
(http://www.chrismc.de/development/xarp/Securing_ARP_0_2_0.pdf)

You could also possibly include Cisco's Dynamic Arp Inspection (DAI)
in your line up of products. Sounds good on paper....

Thanks, I will include this!

Best regards,
Chris