Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Windows dynamic ARP

From: James <jimbob.coffey () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:25:45 +1100

Actually an easier way would be to use the requestedresponse filter in
Xarp.  This only allows a response if your host generated a request.
If you are static mapping ip to mac you should never generate a
request.

Unfortunately XArp can't really 'filter' (drop) the packets, but alert you.

I am sure you will correct me Chris (You did write the tool after all
;-) but I was under the impression the requestedresponse filter
actually dropped a response to the host Xarp is running on if the host
didn't issue an arp request ?

I am currently working on a Linux port where writing a network driver for

wouldn't arptables
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/arptables-man.html
be able to handle the linux side of things ?

If you want to get an overview of mechanisms available for ARP attack
detection, you can have a look at a (yet incomplete) presentation I once
started: http://www.chrismc.de/development/xarp/arp_security_tools.html
(http://www.chrismc.de/development/xarp/Securing_ARP_0_2_0.pdf)

You could also possibly include Cisco's Dynamic Arp Inspection (DAI)
in your line up of products. Sounds good on paper....

--
jac