Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Residential Gateway vulnerabilities

From: AMuse <amuse () foofus com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:17:50 -0800

Probably been discussed (to death) before, but I really like the Soekris series of boxes. Very low power requirement, inexpensive (compared to other gear), good performance and can really run! m0n0wall distributes a flash image on a flash card specifically for their hardware.

I have Debian on mine as a home router, with iptables, openvpn, fail2ban, dhcp3-server and a few other nifty packages. From my experience the VPN will push about 8Mb/sec - which is more than the downstream limit on my cable and WAY more than the upstream.

Soekries link: http://www.soekris.com/

sai wrote:
I prefer to put the modem into transparent mode and do the
firewalling/NAT using something with more firepower. IPCop (Linux) and
m0n0wall (FreeBSD) are both excellent, free and need relatively low
end hardware. Also quite easy and quick to setup.

sai