Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS & Firewalls

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:25:44 +0400

I had strong attitude against pen testing until i observed the current
situation more closely. I found out a few things:

1.) there is (almost certain) windows-based office network
2.) it is totally screwed up because it is the way it works
3.) there (probably) and Oracle server accessible form there
4.) if it is, it is totally screwed up because it is the way it works

All of those are major security problems. Actually that is enough to
show things being really bad. And people need a graphic demonstration
of what a clusterf*ck are they tied in to start thinking about security
architecture, how does it affect business processes and so on.

Windows network pentesters have success rate close to 100%. And that's
why they are there. Though i hate pen-testing approach and fully agree
to everything you said about it.