Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SIP dictionary attacks

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:31:09 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Lord Sporkton wrote:

I'm using openbsd as my firewall, in which there is a connection/time
feature. I can set it to block any ip that makes X connection with in
X time. for instance if someone connects to my ssh port more than 3
times in 30 seconds, they get blocked, since your on sip, you could do
like say, anyone connecting more than 5 times in 5 minutes gets
blocked, sip usually doesnt have that many connections, it just
connects then its up sorta thing.

That would DoS attack any external SIP phones, especially soft phones or
those on dynamically assigned addresses from typical "home" internet
providers."

I believe there is a version of this in iptables, but ive never seen
it in a hardware firewall.

That is at least how i solved the problem you face.

That doesn't solve the problem any better than pure IP address space
restrictions and sometimes makes it worse.

Paul