Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SIP dictionary attacks

From: Lord Sporkton <lordsporkton () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:08:32 -0700

I'm using openbsd as my firewall, in which there is a connection/time
feature. I can set it to block any ip that makes X connection with in
X time. for instance if someone connects to my ssh port more than 3
times in 30 seconds, they get blocked, since your on sip, you could do
like say, anyone connecting more than 5 times in 5 minutes gets
blocked, sip usually doesnt have that many connections, it just
connects then its up sorta thing.

I believe there is a version of this in iptables, but ive never seen
it in a hardware firewall.

That is at least how i solved the problem you face.