Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: State of security technology for the enterprise

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:06:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Chris Hughes wrote:

"mainstream" as missing the mark.  The problem is, on an enterprise level,
most companies are not willing to look at open source solutions or vendors
they have never heard of.  They want brand names that can be supported by a
wide audience of engineers.

I've never seen that level of reluctance at any large enterprise I've
worked or consulted for.  In fact, in these economic times, "it's free" is
a lot more palatable than "you need to spend $10,000."  I'd gently suggest
that the security "sale" for the requirement isn't being done well enough
if you can't choose best of breed open source tools- especially if the
argument is "wide audeience of engineers."  If your "wide audience" is
that narrowly focused, then I'd suggest removing the term "engineer" from
their titles and substituting "monkeys!"

My purpose was not to offend you or become viewed as ignorant.  My purpose
is to solicit opinions on these technologies which appear to me and the
folks I deal with as "new".  I will look at IBM's offering as you suggest.

"Deep packet inspection" has been on the market as such for a number of
years as the challengers to "stateful packet inspection" looked for their
own marketing term.  The "problem" with DPI is that to do it right, you
basically have to mimic the fragmentation, ordering and reassembly of an
IP stack, then know what to look for as "bad"- by the time you've written
all of that, you may as well have written a real proxy where you know the
effects of that and you've got a mature implementation that's been in the
field for years- so the code bugs are hopefully already addressed.  We've
all seen how well proxies adapted to "new" stuff, and DPI has had the same
set of issues- the problem isn't so much the buzzword as the amount of
work necessary to do a good job coupled with the brain-deadedness of most
application protocols (security is not addressed in this document...)

Paul