Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: State of security technology for the enterprise

From: "Chris Hughes" <chughes () l8c com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:45:04 -0400

I have no idea how "new" these technologies are.  If they were mainstream
technologies I would expect to see more of the mainstream vendors
implementing them.  I can see where cutting edge security types would view
"mainstream" as missing the mark.  The problem is, on an enterprise level,
most companies are not willing to look at open source solutions or vendors
they have never heard of.  They want brand names that can be supported by a
wide audience of engineers.

I term the technologies as immature because the offerings I see leave
something to be desired.

I am not aware of having XML data flows.  What are you referring to?

My purpose was not to offend you or become viewed as ignorant.  My purpose
is to solicit opinions on these technologies which appear to me and the
folks I deal with as "new".  I will look at IBM's offering as you suggest.

You are kidding calling those technologies "new"?

Actually we do need something new. Think entitlement management, role-based
access control, data flow tracking, emdedded security tokens, OWASP
frameworks, XML filtering etc.

At least document fingerprinting and discovery as poor man's solution.

And configuration management and endpoint security solutions (not just
"AV"!) for sure.

We all are going nowere because we are stuck into our old toys - DPI, IDS,
AV, VPN etc and actually have no idea how data flow *should* be managed -
and you are afraid of "potentialy immature technologies"? God damn,
everything you list is old as mammoth's fossilized crap!

Well, have a look at IBM's Datapower at least - much of your data flow is
XML, right?

And forget that Cisco makes "firewalls". Those are not worth their power
supply units.