Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: syslog and network management

From: david () lang hm
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:07:14 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, ArkanoiD wrote:

Hmm, did you try tcp transport (if your router does support it)?
It might be better..

the sending devices did not support tcp transport, but there is not much
of an excuse for a program who's purpose is receiving logs to do so poorly
at it. if it's missing so many UDP packets that the OS is overflowing it's
buffers and dropping them than it's going to do bad things to the tcp
dataflow as well. the difference is that now you are able to rely on the
sender to act as a buffer as well. but that leaves your logs where you
don't want them, eating up resources on the sender while being vunerable
to disruption.

David Lang