Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: syslog and network management

From: david () lang hm
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Darden, Patrick S. wrote:

UDP is a LOT faster than TCP.  No ECC so it uses less cpu, less memory, and has less of a memory footprint.  If you
were dropping a lot of UDP, then TCP would not help at all--you would receive less, just more reliably.

NG is a great app.  Not sure why it failed you.  Good idea to try a different syslogd.

ng does a lot of things, however all I need is a very trivial syslog
implementation. I don't need it to do any filtering (not by apps, not by
servers, not even by facility or severity), all I need it to do is to
recieve logs (checking to see if it needs to add host and timestamp to the
message), write them to disk, and relay a copy to the next log server.

You state that you switched to regular syslogd with async file io--was the file io set to async with NG also?  If it
starts happening again try:

as I remember, -ng didn't let me just disable sync writes, instead it had
me give a max number of messages to buffer. I set this value at a few
hundred.

vmstat 5 (show disk activity every 5 seconds, io contention, # writes, etc.)
top (let you check cpu activity, ram, top apps, etc.)
sar
netstat -i (check for errors, overruns, and overall activity)

I'll do so in the future if/when I revisit the choice. the macine didn't
have sar on it, but I did check the other things and didn't find any
smoking guns. since switching to a different syslogd solved the problem I
didn't dig that hard.

David LAng

--p

--p