Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: need opinion of security experts on network design

From: Andrew Girling <agirling () denetron com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:28:24 -0400

On Jun 15, 2008, at 5:57 AM, shadow floating wrote:

Hi All,
I've been asked to give an opinion on a network design in which the
designer did the following to a network on multiple buildings of
multiple floors:
1-each floor is a separate VLAN
2-all switches in the floors are layer 3 switches (no layer 2 switches at all)
3-no VLAN spans multiple swtiches,
4-each of the floors' switches are connected via point-to-point
interconnecting VLAN to a core switch
5-No spanning tree at all in the network as each switch is a different
unique VLAN
6-All VLANs routing are done via OSPF protocol
so i have about 50 VLANs with about 50 interconecting VLANs

can any one gives me his opinion from security point of view on that design?

thank you very much

regards,
Nad

Nad,

While this design provides vast segregation and simplifies Edge adds/ moves/changes from a security perspective, it provides unnecessary complexity at the Core, making it harder to enforce security policies and leaves the door open for vulnerabilities from misconfiguration.

Each network is unique to meet the requirements of one or many organizations. However, as a network and security professional, I have a number of general concerns with this design:

1) "Each floor is a separate VLAN" & "no VLAN spans multiple switches"

How large are the floors in question? Where are the communication closets laid out? Having a 90m distance limitation in the horizontal run from the closet may cause cabling issues, and introduce additional closets/switches/VLANs on a given floor, unless the "no VLAN spans multiple switches" rule is broken, and this would also affect the "no spanning tree" rule. I can picture half a dozen situations where adds/ moves/changes clash against the design.

2) "Each of the floors' switches are connected via point-to-point interconnecting VLAN to a core switch"

This is one of the areas I see potential for misconfiguration.

What is being done to address redundancy? Sectioning off each switch as its own VLAN straight to the core creates unnecessary traffic, and can be an excellent point of attack for network snooping or denial of service. The omission of a distribution layer can increase overhead and latency, and reduce network survivability.

Not to mention, since this is over multiple floors and buildings, traffic has to span greater distances to get to the Core, which increases latency, and requires a vast amount of backbone interconnects, since the distances in question would not be suitable for copper. It would require over 50 connections to the Core over fiber (assuming single links, no redundancy), since copper is well out of the question. Labor for installation, termination, and testing of the fiber optic cabling, GBICs and fiber jumpers for connecting the hardware, and maintenance/repair of the optical circuits is many times more expensive than a traditional Core-Distribution-Edge approach. What advantage does this design provide? Little to none, in my opinion.

3) How are occupants of the building laid out? Is each floor a unique organization? Is it a department? Are all the individuals that need access to the Accounting/Financial servers in the same work area, and thus on the same switch/VLAN? If not, how will your access controls to your financial database, for example, take place? This would require a long list of firewall rules to regulate access from diverse points on the network, and would be hard to maintain, susceptible to misconfiguration, and generally a security risk that could be avoided.

I would take the time to generate a list of requirements, before approaching a design. Some factors to consider include:

* Who is accessing the network, and from where? (layout of the organization(s))
* What do clients need access to?  Can these functions be grouped?
* What boundaries should exist between clients and servers, clients and the Internet, clients and other clients, etc? * What level of service does the network need to provide? (things will break! what is acceptable, what isn't)

Your requirements should be derived from business and regulatory factors. Then, draft a physical design to meet your requirements.

Cheers,

Andrew