Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?

From: <iarenaza () escomposlinux org> (Iñaki Arenaza)
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:37:56 +0200

"Darden," == Darden, Patrick S <darden () armc org> writes:

    Darden,> Layer 2, unlike IP, is on a flat fabric.  There are no
    Darden,> routers, no routing protocols, it is bridged.  Every
    Darden,> point on the fabric knows every other point on the
    Darden,> fabric.

While not expert on the subject, I know of a switch vendor that is
adding PBR at layer 2 to their gear. They usually deal with some Layer
2 protocols (use in special industrial environments), and they want to
control where those Layer 2 packets go (output port) depending on
several factors like being unicast/multicast/broadcast, coming/going
to certain MAC addresses/addresses groups, etc.

So while not widely used, there are people doing 'crazy' stuff like
that.

Saludos. Iñaki.

--
  Get PGP/GPG Keys at  http://www.escomposlinux.org/iarenaza/pgpkey.php
  I use free software / Yo uso software libre