Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?

From: Darren Reed <Darren.Reed () Sun COM>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:20:17 -0700

Not necessarily.
Layer 3 PBR doesn't change layer 3 addressing, so why would
layer 2 PBR change layer 2 addresses?

Granted it is hard to conceive of why people would do such a
thing, but people tend to want to do crazy things (like connect
to the Internet), so I thought I would ask if there were any
known, solid, use cases.

Darren

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:

This would not be Layer 2 PBR.  This would be Layer 2 NAT of MACs.
E.g. a frame hits the MAC-NAT with a destination MAC of
X, and your rule says if X is dest then rewrite the frame
so it has dest MAC of Y instead.

--p