Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

VPN Issue with Certs and fragmentation

From: "Bell Simon (RBNA/CIT1.12)" <Simon.Bell () us bosch com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:48:04 -0500

We occasionally have customers call in reporting that they're never
prompted for credentials when attempting to connect to the VPN. This
happens most often when they're at a hotel/public hotspot. However, if
they use a profile based on a preshared key instead of a cert
authentication, they connection works w/o issue. I've captured traffic
off a failed user and it looks like during a cert auth IPSec tunnel
there's a fair amount of packet fragmentation. I'm guessing then that a
router in-between is probably just dropping those packets causing phase1
to fail. Has anyone else seen something similar to this? I'm thinking
dropping the MTU on either our public interface or on the client
directly.

Any other suggestions shared experiences would be great,

Simon