Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:01:15 -0500

Jim Seymour wrote:
What
you're telling me is just skip the firewall entirely, and put together
a comprehensive set of "firewall router" packet filtering rules.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying is that the action is all
at layer-7 these days. Use a router (or 2 tin cans and some string)
to apply broad, simple, controls at the network layer and make
sure you are directing traffic to locked down layer-7 services
on machines that you think can handle them.

Firewalls have always consisted (in my mind, anyhow..) of
"block and carry" - think of the basic stuff the firewall does
as blocking big chunks of traffic so that your layer-7 picture
is refined to the point where you can effectively reason
about it. In that model a proxy is just a "carry" tool for
layer-7 traffic - and you can then reason about the security
controls (if you're using more than just a plug-board
proxy, which is axiomatically the same as a router
permit port ACL) in the proxy.

With respect to the "stateful packet inspection" garbage;
it's computer security's equivalent of homeopathy or
accupuncture: people like it because it makes them
feel better. It's a placebo.

mjr.