Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX stateful failover and separate external circuits

From: Paul Murphy <Paul_Murphy () fd org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:14:39 -0600

I would assume that your two ISP circuits have different IP address
assignments?  If so, I do not believe that the PIX can failover connection
states to an Interface with a different IP address than the original.

Thanks,

Paul Murphy

             Florin Andrei
             <florin () andrei my
             ip.org>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.
             firewall-wizards-         com
             bounces@listserv.                                          cc
             icsalabs.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [fw-wiz] PIX stateful failover and
             02/14/2007 05:36          separate external circuits
             PM

             Please respond to
             firewall-wizards@
             listserv.icsalabs
                   .com

I've a pair of PIX fw's (OS ver 7.2) in a failover configuration. The
two external interfaces are connected to the provider on two separate
circuits.

The provider claims that in such a configuration, stateful failover will
not work (the PIXes will do stateless failover), and we need to hook up
a switch (or a pair of switches) between the two firewalls and the two
circuits to enable stateful failover.

Somehow that doesn't sound right to me, but I cannot prove it, nor
disprove it. Anybody knows what the real answer is? A link to some
document that has the details to support the answer would be great, too.

Thanks,

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/