Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PIX stateful failover and separate external circuits

From: Florin Andrei <florin () andrei myip org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:39:00 -0800

I've a pair of PIX fw's (OS ver 7.2) in a failover configuration. The
two external interfaces are connected to the provider on two separate
circuits.

The provider claims that in such a configuration, stateful failover will
not work (the PIXes will do stateless failover), and we need to hook up
a switch (or a pair of switches) between the two firewalls and the two
circuits to enable stateful failover.

Somehow that doesn't sound right to me, but I cannot prove it, nor
disprove it. Anybody knows what the real answer is? A link to some
document that has the details to support the answer would be great, too.

Thanks,

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/