Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PIX access-list help

From: "Brian Blater" <brb.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:02:13 -0500

I'm a little befuddled with PIX access lists and need some help and
understanding. I have a PIX 515 version 6.3(3) with 3 interfaces -
outside, inside, dmz. Up til now I have only been using the outside
and inside interface. I have started configuring the dmz interface and
have set it at security50 (outside = 0, inside = 100). I currently
have only an access-list on the outside interface allowing some
specific traffic in to the inside network. Right now the inside and
dmz can talk to the internet just fine and the inside can talk to the
dmz network fine. However, I want to implement an access-list on the
dmz interface and this is where the problems start. If I assign an
access list to the dmz port to allow smtp from a dmz host to the
inside mail server I no longer have communication to the internet from
the dmz and the inside cannot talk to the dmz because of the implicit
deny of the access list.

So, my main question, is there an access list command I can have that
basically says "allow all communication from the dmz to the internet"
and one that says "allow communication from the inside to the dmz"? I
know I can add "access-list dmz permit ip host 192.168.1.1 any" and
that solves the problem of getting to the internet, but then it opens
all communication to the inside from this host and I don't want to do
that. Since this is version 6.3(3) I can't use an out access-list
which I think might solve the problem. I have enough memory to run
version 7.x on this PIX, but I'm trying to tackle one problem at a
time and I'm a little hesitant about doing the 7.x upgrade just yet.

I have more questions, but I think I start here for now and ask the
other questions when they are more relevant.

Thanks for your help,
Brian