Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Question on Cisco ASA's... do all the features slow it down?

From: "John G." <isaac737 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:56:22 -0800

greetings and salutations.  peace to the nations.

well, i don't understand really what you mean by the packet sizes and first
match vs. last match.  i am more a firewall apprentice than firewall wizard.

what i can definitely agree with is the performance data that a certain
company from the Bay Area says their firewalls can do around 200
Megabits/second.   we are seeing 80% CPU load on the firewall (watched via
Nagios and Cacti) when we push around 10 Megabits/second.

how is this even a useful metric is my question?  200 Megabits/second with a
default ALLOW ANY to ANY ruleset on both in and out??  :P

-jg